Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Art of War Alliance Blog

So what do you think? And what do you think the content, the format should be? I just don't want to parallel my "Life on the Bubble" stuff. What I think I should talk about is OUCH obviously, small gang PvP, the New Player Experience and maybe spotlight what it's like to live in Curse.
Fly Safe or Fly Dangerous, Just Don't Fly Stupid.
- East US TZ
In the business of maintaining the high cost of implants since 2009.
I was watching today and he gave OUCH some publicity and some props. I returned the favor on the blog.

Check it out at about the 3:19:30 point.
- East US TZ
No comments? You guys are hurting my feeling.
- East US TZ
I'd like several of the things you mention as possibilities. The living in Curse bit is of particular interest to me. I know almost nothing about what it is like living in null space. Do you set up manufacturing out there? Haul out what you need? Both? I'm a noob though, so maybe that kinda stuff would only appeal to other noobs.

Then again, I think EVE really needs to get better at attracting new players. CCP has worked on the tutorials, but they have much more to do in my opinion. With all the talk about how old "themepark" MMOs are getting, I can't help but wonder if EVE's nearly incomprehensible and harsh early game is scaring people away from even considering it as they look for a more sandbox style game.

It is hard to shift from a point of view where you are mostly safe to one where you are mostly unsafe. I mean unsafe in multiple ways here. Not only the getting blown up bit, but there are so many things you can do to hurt yourself early on, like spending all your remaps before you have a skill plan, or trying to fly a cruiser after a week's playing. Most other games are very forgiving with their systems. I'm not saying EVE should become more forgiving, but I think it would be nice if it was more clear in-game what these sorts of things mean, without having to dig all over the internet to find answers.

Want to fly that cruiser? Here is a suggested skill path to get you there. Why should you do this? Because of X, Y and Z, which Aura will now helpfully highlight for you.

Also, is there a good reason I have to mash scan constantly to keep d-scanning? We have AI smart enough to do all that Aura can, but nothing that can be programmed to mash a button every second? Smile

Anyway, I've gone off on a tangent. Sorry.
USA Player, EVE-5
Quote:Do you set up manufacturing out there? Haul out what you need?
Talk to the guys in TS, I'm sure they can answer those questions. This is the public side of the forum and they might want to keep what they do and how they do it private.
Quote:Also, is there a good reason I have to mash scan constantly to keep d-scanning? We have AI smart enough to do all that Aura can, but nothing that can be programmed to mash a button every second?
That's a real good question, and one that I think every PvPer in Eve wants to know... why cant you turn on your Dscan and have it update every tick? 1 tick equals 6 seconds by the way. Seems like that would be easy to code in.

From CCP's POV, they probably don't want 30K ships online continuously querying the server on what's off grid from them.

In so far as making it easier for new players... the bitter vets don't want you to have an easier time than they did, they think you should learn it the hard way like them. Yesterday, my friend got a convo from a guy looking for a fight... my friend was in a day old character. My friend refused, said he was new. The guy was nice enough to find him and jettison a can with free stuff for him to use.

Then, of course, he blew up my friend.

I like to say Eve is a roleplaying game, and everyone is roleplaying an asshole.

CCP is in a bad spot, where they have to encourage new players despite a player base with a mean streak from hell. We can only try to help the people we can.
- East US TZ
Bren,

I think that if you write, as soon as people see it they will read it. you have touched quite a few people either on the killboard or through classes, and i know i enjoy reading your articles. the funny part about the whole thing is a agree with almost everthing you write about. i say keep it up!

-jak
USA Player, EVE-5
I'd like to echo Jak. Without trying to blow smoke up your arse, in the short time I've been here, read the available info, and listened in the lounge, you come across as an intelligent, articulated chap, who has put alot of thought into your opinions, backed with good arguments/reasons. I think in order to write a meaningful blog, that will get read, you need to have an idea what you're on about, with some resolve thrown in, so you're off to a good start! Don't ask me what I think you should write about though!!
UK - EVE +1 (will change to EVE +0 at the end of the month)
Well, I'm going to try and talk about stuff that is in line with the New Player Experience, from a PvP perspective. Hopefully I can bring up some of the problems I see with Eve and the attitude of it's non-newbie friendly player base, maybe help figure out a player based solution.

Thanks guys. Smile
- East US TZ
I picked this game up in 2007, and it still confuses me to this day! I think as a new player, the tutorial is all well and good, but you're still essentially on your own. I remember when I first played, didn't have a clue about the shear enormity of the game, as not everything is explained, alot of it you have to find out for yourself, such as cap ships, cynosural fields, different isotopes, warp bubbles, etc... So much you are left to find out for yourself. Knowing how to fit a ship out with the correct setups, and why. All the different ECM, ECCM, drones, skillbooks, implants, it just goes on and on, and now I have a headache.
I still have trouble working out what guns are for what ships, so I just stick to missiles Smile
UK - EVE +1 (will change to EVE +0 at the end of the month)
Well, it's been a couple of months and I'm still chugging along. I'm trying to keep it interesting and on topic: Educating players, the New Player Experience and promoting OUCH. Sometimes I catch myself reading other blogs and wanting to comment... like the whole TEST versus Goons thing, but I if I can't relate it to training, OUCH or the NPE, I have to pass.

Some folks have told me that I write well, and that's good for the ego. Azual Skoll, Mabrick and Toterra have all linked the blog, and that's great too.

Just gotta keep plugging along.
- East US TZ