Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tools of the Trade: Light Tackle
[Originally Posted on the Art of War Alliance Blog December 2, 2012]

Plus one.

New pilots come to the Open University of Celestial Hardship literally "dying" to get into null sec and PvP. The come in blasting us questions at a high rate of fire. If I'm lucky, they'll find their way to one of my favorite requests:

Can someone link me a good PvP fit?

What race do you fly, an instructor might ask?

Minmatar.

And then someone will link this fit in chat.

Rifter - Student Fit

125mm Gatling AutoCannon I (3)

Rocket Launcher I

1MN Afterburner

Stasis Webifier I

Warp Scrambler I

Nanofiber Internal Structure I

Overdrive Injector I (2)

Or a similarly fit Incursus, Merlin or Tormentor, depending on the pilot's preferred race. OUCH instructors have a soft spot for Merlins to be honest.

The one day old pilot with just say "Thank you!" and move on. But the month old pilot or veteran carebear will balk almost every time. They've been playing Eve long enough to have an opinion.

They'll notice the distinct lack of T2 or T1 Meta 4 modules and ask if they can upgrade it. They'll remark that the guns are too small. They'll note the complete absence of tank or repair module.

We'll tell them, Trust us. It's perfect just as it is.

The Student Fit is built to Tackle. The power of the fit is in the "Holy Trinity" of it's medium slots. A scram to shut down a target's microwarp drives. A webifier to cut the speed of afterburning ships. An afterburner to maintain maximal traversal on a tackled target and take advantage of the ship's small signature radius to avoid incoming damage.

This is not a ship for solo null sec or low sec piracy. This not a ship that a pilot uses to chase down his target like a cheetah on a gazelle. This is a ship that when you land on the target, or he lands on you, you grab him by the ankle and hold him in place while until the cavalry arrives.

The cavalry? They're bringing damage, EWAR and more tackle.

You catch 'em, we'll clean 'em and fry 'em.

While those itty bitty guns might not do much damage against a battlecruiser, their high tracking speed will let a couple of tacklers quickly clear the field of the one thing that can kill them: drones.

Is it a good PvP fit? I'd say its a GREAT PvP fit. It does exactly what it was designed to do, with no muss and no fuss. It's a fleet fit that lets the brand new player contribute on Day One in null sec. OUCH students have used it, and ships like it, to destroy more than 400 billion ISK in ships over the last 2 years. At less than a million ISK for a fully fit hull, that's a lot of bang for the buck.

You don't have to spend a lot of money, or have a lot of skills, to contribute to the fleet. You just need a ship with a defined role and someone to teach you how to use it.

That's where you start.

Minus one.
Fly Safe or Fly Dangerous, Just Don't Fly Stupid.
Eve Killboard - East US TZ
In the business of maintaining the high cost of implants since 2009.

Messages In This Thread
Tools of the Trade: Light Tackle - by Bren Genzan - 07-05-2013, 01:20 AM